Wednesday, August 17, 2011

FYI and Homework for the Week of August 22nd

Welcome back track 3 first grade! I hope you all have enjoyed your track out. I enjoyed spending time with my son Christopher. I am now looking forward to tracking back in and getting started with our 4th week of school. We will have parent/teacher conferences at the end of the first 9 weeks. Please be sure to look in your child's Friday folder for a sign up sheet. I'm asking that you choose 3 times that work best for you and I will send out a finalized schedule for parent/teacher conferences. If you feel the need to conference with me before the scheduled date/time, please be sure to let me know.

Below you will find your child's assigned homework for the week of August 22nd. By the end of this school year, your child should be able to read and write at least 100 high frequency words. To help your child reach this goal, I am assigning at least 5 words each week for your child to focus on. You and your child may choose to focus on either list A, list B, or both lists. If your child is not able to read and write the words from list A, then I suggest focusing on this list first. List A includes words that have 2 or 3 letters and list B includes words that have 4 or more letters. In addition learning the high frequency words, your child should also focus on reading color words and number words to 99.

Assessments in first grade are on-going. While I am not currently giving a spelling test or having students turn in spelling homework, I do assess in a variety of ways and I am aware of which words to focus on with each individual student. The words that we focus on in class may or may not be the same words that I assign each week for homework. I thank you in advance for working with your child on these assigned words at home. It will make a big difference in your child’s reading and writing!

Please note: If your child is currently able or becomes able to independently read and write all of the 200 words, please let me know so that I may assess him or her. Once I have seen that your child is able to read and write the 100 words, I will begin to send home additional words for your child to focus on.

Homework:

Sight words (list A) but, in, is, it, me

(list B) been, other, could, want, find


Monday
-Read for a minimum of 15 minutes
-Complete math page 27
-Choose an activity to complete with your spelling words for this week (see suggested activites in the homework folder)

Tuesday
-Read for a minimum of 15 minutes
-Complete math page 28
-Choose a different activity to complete with your spelling words for this week

Wednesday
-Read for a minimum of 15 minutes
-Complete math page 29
-Choose a different activity to complete with your spelling words for this week

Thursday
-Read for a minimum of 15 minutes
-Complete math page 30
-Choose a different activity to complete with your spelling words for this week