Friday, February 1, 2013

Optional Math Problems for February

Below you will find 6 problems.  I plan to add more later this month.  Enjoy :)

#1 Farmer Brown and his wife planted vegetables each day for a week. How many vegetables did they plant by the end of the week?

On day 1, they planted 5 vegetables.
On day 2, they planted 10 vegetables. 
On day 3, they planted 15 vegetables. 

#2 Arches are made with two squares and one trapezoid. If the builders have six trapezoids, how many squares do they need to make arches?

#3 What are the next three numbers in this pattern? 77, 66, 55, 44, 33, ___, ____, ____

What would the tenth number be in this pattern? 3, 8, 13, 18, 23, ____, ____,

#4 I have some pennies, nickels, and dimes in my pocket. I put three coins in my hand. How much money do you think I have in my hand?

#5 The students each had a nickel, a dime, a penny, and a quarter. The teacher said, “Put these coins in order from the smallest to the largest.” Students did not agree how to do this. What are two ways they might have ordered the coins? Explain.

#6 Sarah squirrel hid some nuts for the winter. She sent Sammy Squirrel out to gather them. “How many did you hide?” he asked Sarah. I hid a number that can be divided between us equally.” How many nuts does he need to find?